Storm and Cyclone Safety
What to do During the Cyclone?
Monitor the radio or television for weather conditions updates.
Do not go outside, even if the storm appears to have subsided. The calm or “eye” of the storm can pass quickly, leaving you outside when strong winds resume.
Stay away from all windows.
Evacuate to a shelter or a neighbor’s home if your home is damaged or if you are instructed to do so by emergency personnel.
If power is lost, turn off all major appliances to reduce the chances of damage of a power surge.
Do not handle electrical equipment and do not use the telephone except in an emergency.
What to do After the Cyclone has passed?
When power is restored to your home, do not start all major appliances at once; turn them on gradually to reduce damage to sensitive equipment.
Treat ALL downed, damaged or loose power lines as live and avoid at all costs. Report them immediately to FEA on 913 or the relevant authorities.
Do not use electrical or gas appliances that have been wet, and do not turn on damaged appliances because of the hazards of electric shock or fire.
Never use charcoal indoors because burning charcoal produces high levels of carbon monoxide that can reach lethal levels in enclosed spaces.
Never use a generator indoors, including garages, even with ventilation. Exhaust fumes contain high levels of carbon monoxide which can be deadly if inhaled. Even when left outside, keep generators away from doors and windows and at least 10 feet away from your home. Also, allow your generator to cool off before refilling it as fuel splashing on hot generator components can lead to fire.